Enter your email address:

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Protecting Daughters From The World's Harsh Expectations




Being a mother of five daughters and having a granddaughter who are in different stages, there are different expectations we are dealing with at any given time.  


They are so impressionable to their surroundings and are always on alert to how they measure up.  Each of them so different, responding to life in their own way.

I do have one son but it's the girls who are more sensitive to the expectations  of the world around them.  I see them get excited, hurt, confused, and flat out defeated at what they think they should be or how they should act.

When they come to me not knowing how to measure up to peers, friends, co-workers, or even family I try to remind them that they are perfect the way they are.  Always be yourself no matter what.  Stay true to your values, your convictions, your desires and don't let anyone talk you out of it.  You can be anything you want to be.

When I was a little girl growing up I did not have someone telling me that I was beautiful and that I could do anything I wanted to do.  I'm always thinking back to how I felt and what I would be thinking if I was put in the same situations as my girls.  I know that I am a strong influence in their lives and try my best to guide them in the right direction.

Unrealistic expectations is something I think we can all relate to and struggle with.  Young girls today feel so much pressure trying to measure up to what society feeds them through the media.  It's important to remind them what is reality and that it's okay to just be themselves.

Ultimately, I know that the most powerful thing is to pray for my girls.  For their protection, for them to be strong, to know their value and worth, to make choices and decisions based on who they are and what they know is true.  When I see my girls interacting with others, extending the same positive encouragement to others, I feel so blessed.


* originally posted over at Speak Now: Little Speak





photobucketphotobucketphotobucketPhotobucketphotobucketphotobucket

1 comment:

Dionne said...

Hello, it has been awhile since I have read some of my follower's blogs,but I enjoy getting to know people this way. I have two sons so I don't know what it is like to raise a daughter. I was an 80's child and I don't feel that I experienced the same pressure girls do today...so much more exposure to the world's influences...the sexualizing and weight demands. Sad and hard. I struggle as a women so I can only imagine how you struggle as a mom to daughters. We just want to protect them from hurt and yet it happens no matter what we do,but you said it best with praying for our children...the power of a praying parent is priceless! Blessings and Merry Christmas to your family and you.