Thank you so much for allowing me to join you on your blog! I am honored to be here. Today I would like to talk to you about something that is near and dear to my heart: Child Hunger.
According to Thinkquest*, 15 million children die each year from hunger.
Bread.org estimates that 925 million people suffer from hunger and malnutrition worldwide.
The World Food Project claims that hunger kills more people each year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined!
And the most tragic of all - Thinkquest claims that most of the world's hunger and sanitation problems could be solved for the cost of what people in developed countries spend on perfume in just one year.
But someone has to match the willing donors to the need. Someone has to inform people that there is a need in the first place. I'm sure we're all aware of hunger. But in a society where many of us are relatively well fed, it's hard to really comprehend the level of starvation occurring in the world.
I want to invite you to join me in the fight to bring food to children in need. If we can ease the suffering of even a few children - if we can abate the heartache of a few parents - that is my goal. So, I am officially issuing the
Operation Feed The Lambs 6 Week Challenge
1) Plan out a fundraiser. It can be as simple as hitting up your friends for spare change, or as complicated as organizing a 5K. Whatever you're good at, start there.
2) Start a Hunger Line. Are you an etsy shop owner? Consider starting a Hunger Line. Choose one item (or type of item) and donate 100% of profits from that one item to fighting hunger. Be sure to tag your item with Hunger Line - lets see if we can start an etsy trend!
3) Be a media maven! Tweet about the OFL challenge, post on your facebook page, write up a blog post or grab this button for your side bar
<div align="center"><a href="http://babystuffilove.blogspot.com/search/label/Operation%20Feed%20The%20Lambs" title="Operation Feed The Lambs"><img src="http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/mrscat206/EndHungerbutton-1.jpg" alt="Operation Feed The Lambs" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
4) Link up. In 6 weeks (around the beginning of July) we'll be having a linky-party. Write up a little post about your fundraiser. Share pictures, tell amazing stories about the people you met or the roadblocks you overcame. Tell us a little about where you held your event and what you did. Even if you just picked up spare change off the street, tell us about your project. Or, show off some of the products from your new Hunger Line. You don't have to share your total, but if you want to, I'll be keeping a tally to post a "grand total" at the end so we can see what kind of impact our bloggy community had. Link up your post so we can all cheer each other on.
And keep an eye out for several linkies along the way. We have one for your Hunger Line items here. Another for updates on your projects is on the way.
5) Donate. Then take those dollars you've raised and donate them. Any charity that turns that money into food will do. Already have a favorite organization? Great! If not, you might want to consider some of these:
Feed The Children
Children's Hunger Relief Fund
Children's Hunger Fund
World Food Programme
Do a little research, pick the one that's right for you, and help feed those babies!
Are you in? Do you have any questions? Have a project idea, charity, or story you really want to share? Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org! And thank you for your time!!
*Facts as of 1997