Enter your email address:

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Girls Day = Memories of Grandma



March 3rd is Girls Day.  When I was a little girl, my grandmother would give us special gifts.  We grew up with Sanrio goodies.  Hello kitty, Little Twin Stars, and other cute characters.  Our special gifts would usually be something from Sanrio.  I would love the cute smelly pencils and smelly erasers.  These treasures would be so pretty that I would have a hard time using them.


My grandmother passed away September 2007, 2-1/2 months before Dakota was born.  The last time we saw my grandmother was the night everyone was called to the hospital.  We stopped to buy her flowers and a little hello kitty doll caught my eye.  It reminded me of her because the doll was dressed up in a beautiful Japanese kimono.  My grandmother is full Japanese and we grew up with the culture.  On the way to the hospital I had every intention of giving that doll to her.  Somewhere along the drive, I realized that we may never see her again because things were not looking good.  I decided not to give the doll to her.  My heart told me that I should keep it as a reminder of the last time I saw her.  Before we left, I told her "I love you", and she said "I love you too".  It was the last thing we said to one another.  I was right.  It would be the last time I would see her.  My mom called early the next morning and said she passed away shortly before she called me.


I'm not sure why but Shirokiya is a place that makes me feel her presence.  It was her favorite store and all our lives she had taken us there.  Now, on her birthday or on Girls day, I find myself wanting to just go there, walk around and just be still and remember her.  Besides going to her urn tomb the day we laid her to rest and on the first anniversary of her passing, I have yet to visit.  To me, I do not see her as being there.  I find peace and feel close to her at my mom's house where she was living before she passed away.  I like to visit Shirokiya, her favorite store and Kunio, her favorite Japanese restaurant.  These are the places she was always found when she did feel like going for an outing.


This post was not intended to be about my grandmother.  I guess that's just where my heart wanted to go today.


I have 5 daughters, 1 granddaughter, 1 niece, and 1 special lady in my son's life.  On girls day, I am reminded about how lovely life is having girls, the beauty they bring to this world and how powerful a force they will be.  Having these special girls in my life has shifted what girls day means to me.  From my memories with my grandmother and my sisters to just being grateful for having special girls in my life.  


Happy Girls Day!
xoxo, Salena
 Facebook / Twitter  / Shop





2 comments:

C.LEE said...

I have never heard of girls day. What a fun thing to celebrate! Your story of your grandmother is beautiful. I just lost my grandpa and can relate so much to what you said. It is the places and memories we have of them that we hold on to. I love that you still visit those places and can feel her with you. xoxo

Carole said...

Nice blog. You might like this poem about mothers. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/random-quotation-spot.html