Enter your email address:

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Twenty Six Years Ago Today...


(please be patient with me, this post is all over the place.  It took me over 6 hours to write it and it is now after 4am, I gotta pee and my hormones are out of whack!  xoxo)


I gave birth to a daughter, and named her Ashley.




If you remember the post titled "Thoughts on Motherhood", you may recall me talking about being a mother of a drama queen, a movie star, and a bride.  Well, Ashley is the one I was talking about.








She has always loved to perform and she has a natural talent that draws people to her.  Dancing, performing, acting, and directing has been a part of her life since she was little.

You would say, okay, that takes care of the "drama" queen part.  And she's married, so that takes care of the "bride" part.

Well... 

Have you heard of Tyler Perry?
What about the movie, Tyler Perry's: Madea's Big Happy Family.

If you have not seen it yet - it is HILARIOUS!!!  It's a must see as is ALL of Tyler Perry's creations.

DVD: Movie -Madea's Big Happy Family

http://www.madeasbighappyfamilymovie.com/index.html


Ashley was a featured extra in the movie.  Meaning that she was asked to go down, was not only chosen out of many and the only one to be picked out of the 15 left standing but she was paid - good.  Not only did they like her immediately but they did not need to change anything about her.  They loved her look, hair and makeup and her wardrobe that she showed up in and had on after a long drive and all day wait.

She was in the same room as Tyler Perry himself.  She is in the scene at the fast food place and she's wearing a bright fuchsia top.

Movie star!!!

Yeah, not literally, but she was in the movie and she's a star.  Her middle name "Hokulani" means Heavenly Star.  Hoku = star, Lani = heavenly. I know, she was born to be a star.  Aww!!  I told her that and she wasn't too impressed.

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with her birthday but we were pretty excited about it.  So much so that when we went to preview the movie with her and a group of friends, my other daughter, Saphire and I had her autograph our tickets and our bodies.  I know, crazy right?  But that's just the way we are.

She's been in a couple of other things too recently but I can't recall what the names were.  I know, bad mommy right?

Ashley loves to be in the arena of performing arts and that is her calling and where her passion lies.  Her strong, bubbly personality fits so well in this area.

If you were to meet her, you would LOVE her.  She is fun, energetic, full of life, passionate, expressive, emotional, sensitive, BOLD, and ALWAYS the life of any party.

Know what?  We are total opposites.  I admire her that she will go after what she wants, not care what people think, put her whole heart and soul into something and will push through no matter what.

We have had our share of challenges when she was growing up.  Especially with me being a single mom and she being the oldest of 3 when she was little.  Times got so challenging that at one point she went to live with her paternal grandmother.  Things got worse and we grew apart for a long time.

The best thing that has happened to her?  Her husband Josh.





Two total opposites that just fit.  Ashley got married when she was 18 years old.  Her marriage to Josh has been one of inspiration.  They blend so well together and work together.

Right now they are in their second year of being a part of the drama department for their church.  Ashley is going on her second year of directing their major holiday productions.  The current one "All Scrogged Up".

Anyway, This is getting long and I have no idea where I'm going with this.  It is now 3:40am and I've been working on this for 6 hours, yikes!

Ok, enough with the intro... here we go....  =)








Ashley, I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday.  I know I have told you this before but I am telling you again... I was 15 years old when I got pregnant with you and barely 16 years old when I gave birth to you.  Looking back, I truly believe that God used you to save me.  If it was not for you coming into my life, I had everything available to me to go down the road of destruction spiraling out of control.  If I did not have you to care for and love, I would most likely have taken that road.





Although your life was not easy with me as your mom and we have had many huge challenges between us, I love you so much.  I am grateful for you.  Not only that  you were entrusted to me by God but because of the person you are.  You challenge me and push till you know you can't push anymore.  I know I can trust you to be that powerful force in my life that at times I need but may not want.  I love that you don't care what people think and will do the right thing no matter what.  You will protect those you love in any way, shape, or form and ask questions later.





I hope you know how much I love you.  I know we don't get to spend much time together or have the ideal mother-daughter relationship.  I mean, who forgets their daughter is theirs even for a split moment?  =)  It's not because you are not on my heart as a daughter but because I was such a young mom, you have become my friend and the relationship we have is much more than just mother-daughter.





I love you so much Ashley, more than you could ever imagine and more than you will ever know in your lifetime.  There are no words to express and no way of showing it.

I wish for you the best birthday!

Wait, there's more...  scroll down for a special message...





A special birthday message from Josh...

What can I say about Ashley White?.... Well, she is the love of my life! In the beginning we had many ups and downs, but over time with the help of God, we have had a tremendous turn around. If I had to have one word to describe Ashley, it would be "passionate." No matter what or who she cares about it, she does so with extreme passion. A lot of people don't understand this about her. For some people, this is hard to be around. For others, it's a delight. Either way, it is who she is. She is not faking. That is who she is. Our relationship suffered early on because we are so different. But, at the same time, that is why God brought us together. Because in a relationship, both parties must bring the other to a completely different level. She brings me up to a completely new level of caring for others. We are opposites because that is exactly what each of us need. I love her for that. And I love her for her! Happy Birthday honey!

We all love you Ashley!!  Have a wonderful day!!



Love,
Mommy



Photobucket
Pin It

7 comments:

{K} said...

What a sweet post. Your daughter sounds like a wonderful girl. Happy Birthday, Ashley!

Amber said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter Ashley! Your post is so beautiful. My mom and I didn't have the best relationship growning up, but now its awesome. It kinda just changed one day. Its so exciting to think about how its evolved. When I was 18 I never would have thought I would be this close to my own Mama.

Hope y'all have a great day, filled with lots of memories!

Amber said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter Ashley! Your post is so beautiful. My mom and I didn't have the best relationship growning up, but now its awesome. It kinda just changed one day. Its so exciting to think about how its evolved. When I was 18 I never would have thought I would be this close to my own Mama.

Hope y'all have a great day, filled with lots of memories!

Kristine @ JandMs Eye Candy said...

Beautiful post Salena! Happy Happy Birthday to her!!

Ronni @ Anywhere Is said...

She seems so much fun! :D And her middle name is gorgeous! Lovely post.

Jodi Hall said...

Such a sweet post. Happy Birthday to her! :)

Mrs. Hokulani said...

So I read this on my birthday right at the beginning of my day and totally forgot to comment when I had time. Thank you so much Mom. It means a lot to me. I know we didn't have the best or easiest relationship when I was younger but I'm glad it's much better now.

I love you!!! Thank you for all you've done for me. I'm forever grateful!