Enter your email address:

Friday, September 9, 2011

A Heart Thought: "For the First Time"



Today as I was doing chores and tending to my girls, a song came on the radio.  I have never heard it before but the words stopped me dead in my tracks and I could not help but sit and hang on every word.

My husband was home from work so he had the radio on, something I hardly do anymore since the girls are usually watching their shows on TV or movies.

The song was “For The First Time” by The Script.  It really hit home for me and touched my heart.

This past April my husband and I celebrated our 14th Wedding Anniversary.  We have had our share of for better or worse and with the way the economy is right now, we are barely hanging on and struggling.

Our days are easily rushed through.  Having three young kids, one with special needs, only one income, no regular baby sitter, me and the girls are on a morning schedule for my 6 year old being at school, but my husband works nights.  We hardly see one another and when we do it’s in passing.

The house is in disarray.  Only the necessary function of daily life gets done.  On his days off is when we can catch up with the house, finances, bills, errands, and appointments.  This leaves us little time for real family time and much needed date nights and alone time.

You get the picture... these are the lyrics and the parts highlighted in yellow are the parts can I relate to.

"For The First Time"

She's all laid up in bed with a broken heart,
While I'm drinking jack all alone in my local bar,
And we don't know how,

How we got in to this mad situation,
Only doing things out of frustration


Trying to make it work but man these times are hard,

She needs me now but I can't seem to find the time,
I've got a new job now on the unemployment line,
And we don't know how,
How we got into this mess
is it god's test,
Someone help us 'cause we're doing our best,

Trying to make it work but man these times are hard


But we're gonna start by
Drinking old cheap bottles of wine,
Sit talking up all night,
Saying things we haven't for a while
A while ya
We're smiling but we're close tears,
Even after all these years,
We just now got the feeling that we're meeting for the first time


[x3]
Oooooo

She's in line at the DOLE*
With her head held high (high)
While I just lost my job but
Didn't lose my pride

But we both know how,
How we're gonna make it work when it hurts,
When you pick yourself up,
You get kicked to the dirt,

Trying to make it work but,
Man these times are hard,


But we're gonna start by,
Drinking old cheap bottles of wine,
Sit talking up all night,

Doing things we haven't for a while,
A while ya,
We're smiling but we're close to tears,
Even after all these years,
We just now got the feeling that we're meeting for the first time.


Ooooo
[x3]

Yeah.....
Drinking old cheap bottles of wine,
Sit talking up all night,
Saying thing we haven't for a while,
We're smiling but we're close to tears,
Even after all these years,
We just now got the feeling that we're meeting, for the first time

ooooo...., yeahh for the first time
(ooooo....), oh for the first time,
Yeah for the first time,
(just now got the feeling that we're meeting...
For the first time)

[x4]
Oh these times are hard,
Yeah they're making us crazy
Don't give up on me baby


{* DOLE is the unemployment line in
Ireland} 


{source}



Today as I watched my husband with our girls, the way he played with them, the way he interacted with them, and just the way he looked at them... my heart was filled with emotion.  Today was a good day.  Even though he was feeling sick and super tired, he was hands on today, present with us.  The look on his face was priceless joy and contentment.  In that moment, I loved him even more.
 
It’s so easy to just go about our day and just do enough to get through.  It's so easy to say forget it and do your own thing and not even try to reach out.  I know things will get better.  I'm hanging on and trusting that God will see us through.  I know that all things happen for a reason and that he has a plan for each of us.  


Thanks for taking the time to sit and listen to my heart thought for the day.

All my heart,
Salena

6 comments:

Erica K. said...

Thanks for sharing girl! Love the honesty... Wishing you all the happiness in the world!!
xoxo
Erica
(http://www.mytworoads.com/)

Salena @ A Little Piece of Me said...

Thank you for your kind words Erica! :)

Nicole@MissMommy said...

This post brought a few tears to my eyes. You are so right and I love the realness in this post.

Salena @ A Little Piece of Me said...

Thanks Nicole. :)

Pidg said...

Once again we are similar. Sometimes I feel like even when my husband is home we're not together because of all of the family, chores, and work that I do from home. I honestly wake up each morning and focus on one thing I love about my husband. {Even if I'm in a bad mood I might need to challenge myself and find 2 things} lol But honestly, it's not hard..but it allows me to rekindle that love even when you can't be together. It's so nice to hear you speak, out loud, the love you have and hang on to. We do all have a place, and it will all be alright! I loved this post <3 I needed it this morning :)

Lacee said...

Salena I just love you and I love this post! I think all of us have felt this way before...like we're just going through the motions. Marriage takes WORK...it's not always easy but its worth it. Thanks for sharing this <3