Friday, September 16, 2011

Do You Cherish Them?


I came across this quote and I am reminded of an episode on Oprah where Maya Angelo was on the show.
  
She said, "When a child walks into the room, does your face light up?"

This question alone by itself is very powerful.

She went on...
What do your facial expressions show to them?
How is your demeanor towards them?
Are you attentive to them?
Do you acknowledge them?
Do you greet them with joy?

I was so convicted by her statement.

Everyone wants to feel cherished, that they matter, that they bring joy to someone else.  Children look to us for comfort, acceptance, and belonging.

With the days frustrations it’s easy to lose patience with my kids.
I forget so easily how fragile they are.
They are so impressionable and soak up everything I say and do.
The silent things such as our facial expressions and the way we carry ourselves in front of our children affect them more than we think.
They are very smart and can read us for who we really are before we even speak.

It makes me sad to hear this question and know that this is not me.
I get overwhelmed.
I get frustrated.
I get distracted - - easily.

I know in my marriage, if my husband is overwhelmed, frustrated, and distracted, it shows on his face.  When I walk into the room, I don’t get noticed.  It doesn’t feel very good.

Children are so much more sensitive.  We are all they know at such a young age.  They look to us for so much.

I pray that I will change this part of me.  I want to be a light to my children and for them to know the moment I set eyes on them that they are the most important thing in that moment.


All my heart,
Salena
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. beautiful post. it happens to us all. things happen in our day to day lives that they do change how we feel, its up to us to put on a happy face for out little ones. and i know for me, when i am down the minute my son flashes a smile my heart melts and i forget why i was in a mood. its hard. but i do my best to not show him my frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Salena this is beautiful! Thank you for this reminder. I know it's something that I need to work harder on remembering too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygoodness that is so lovely. I think about these things more when my kids are gone. I think the noise dies down (and I'm missing them desperately) and I start that self-examination of the kind of Mama I am. Lately I've been working on that exact thing actually and I notice a difference in them. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ADORE THIS Salena! You are so right on! Have you seen the movie "the help"? One of the maids in that movie says to a little girl every day when she wakes up "you is kind, you is smart, you is important". I loved that. I need to make sure my kids feel that from me and know how much joy they bring me. I adore being their mother and want them to FEEL that from me! Thank you SO much for your reminder. This is a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely s love this post! You are so right on so many levels. I am going to have to post something similar to this very soon on my blog. Ill make sure to link back if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this, i feel that there is such a grace that i've been exposed to reading these types of things BEFORE i have children of my own and while I work with the kids at my church. thanks for sharing! loved it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment. I appreciate your kind words of encouragement, they mean a lot to me. I read every comment left here and respond directly through email. Please make sure your profile email preferences are set to "on" so I may reply to you.

xoxo
Salena