Enter your email address:

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Two little helpers

having fun trying on Sponge Bob hats while out and about
these two are hilariously silly but hardly witnessed by others

As I was making dinner tonight, Aleshanee came into the kitchen and asked me if she could open the canned goods that I was going to add into the pan.  She loves to help me and although we have the worse can opener and have replaced that thing so many times, it doesn't stop her from struggling with that thing in order to get the job done.  She worked on opening 3 cans and it took her a while to do it.  I hadn't noticed until she told me, that she had drained the liquid out of the 2 cans of stewed tomatoes.  Ugghh, that's what gives the sauce it's liquid!  Well, nothing I could do at this point.


I was making spaghetti for dinner.  By now, Dakota had wandered into the kitchen to see what we were doing.  I started on chopping the onion and the garlic.  The girls both wanted to help with peeling the garlic so they did.  They watched as I chopped it up and put it into the sauce along with the stewed tomatoes and the can of spaghetti sauce.


While this was going on, Aleshanee somehow noticed there was laundry in the dryer and asked to take it out. She thought at first that the washer and dryer needed to be switched out.  I explained to her that the dryer needed to be emptied out into the basket.  The washer door was opened and there were a few really dirty rags in there.  I asked her to pick up the baby's dirty clothes which was outside the washer on the floor and put it into the washer and close the door so none of the clean clothes would fall inside and get dirty.


I was so proud of her for not only opening the cans for me and helping to peel the garlic but that she initiated the laundry and was working so hard to empty the dryer which is stacked above the washer.  After she was done, I noticed her climbing up to the dryer and turned it on.  I told her we do not play with the dryer or washer and she is to never turn it on.


Then I noticed, she had taken the dirty baby clothes and put it into the basket with the clean clothes and put the dirty rags from the washer into the dryer and turned on the dryer.  Oh NO!!!!!  Gross!!!!


I quickly tried to fix the mix-up but realized that I would need to wash the clothes all over again because I know at least baby's dirty clothes was in there and who knows if there was a wet dirty rag in there too.  So I re-washed the laundry and wiped down, cleaned and sanitized the dryer.

my two sillies at the Ice Age Dinosaur Exhibit at the mall

These types of situations causes me as a mom to do everything myself so these mix-ups don't happen.  It is a waste of resources and a waste of time.  But it was so nice to work together and to teach them why I do what I do.  My daughter, Aleshanee has always been interested in helping around the house and initiates all the time.  I need to include them and let them help me more. 


In our house, we love spaghetti.  I thought I'd share the recipe, well there really is no recipe but here you go.  =)


Salena's Spaghetti Sauce


Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
garlic salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
layer top with dried Basil
layer top with dried Oregano
2 cans stewed tomatoes with liquid
1 can spaghetti sauce (any store bought sauce)
Olive oil (I don't measure, I just add some in)
2 Tbs Butter
1/4 cup Sugar (to taste)


Directions:
1. brown beef
2. add onion, garlic, garlic salt, pepper, basil, and oregano
STIR
3. add stewed tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, olive oil, butter, and sugar
STIR
4. lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes


Add to your favorite pasta and serve.  Enjoy!  =)


All my heart,
Salena




3 comments:

Katie said...

Love this!! My little one loves to help out too, and thankfully shes still so little that its hard for her to "do" things...I can only imagine the things that she will be able to get into a year from now, and the things Ill have try and fix! But, thats why we're Momma's, right? We teach, fix, and improvise :) I bet your sauce was still delicious! Thats a favorite in our house too!
~Katie
Punkin' Heads and Dooda Loo's

Salena @ A Little Piece of Me said...

Hi Katie, Yes, it's our jobs as Momma's which is why I need to include them more. I'm trying to work on it. :)

Darcie Santoyo said...

Kids are so helpful LOL =) my 1 year old thinks he needs to pick stuff up and give it to me all the time. If he looks down and theres nothing there to give me he pinches his little fingers together and pretends to. :)
I'm gunna try your spagetti.. its our favorite thing to eat.